Morrow County 2017 Payroll and Employment Growth

by Dallas Fridley

September 12, 2018

Morrow County’s total all industries payroll hit the skids in 2017, falling by $2.1 million to total $291.8 million, a loss of 0.7 percent. All industries employment actually rose by 1.2 percent or 70 jobs to total 5,796. Morrow County’s 2017 pay per worker averaged $50,354, a loss of nearly $1,000 or 1.9 percent from 2016’s total.

Payroll and employment were not reported for the information industry in 2017 due to confidentiality limitation. Other services also received confidential treatment in 2017, while construction data was withheld for confidentiality in 2016. 
Oregon’s all industries annual pay per worker reached $51,117 in 2017, about $800 higher than Morrow County’s average. Among Oregon’s 36 counties, Morrow County’s average pay ranked fourth, just behind Clackamas County and just ahead of Benton County ($50,076). Only three counties, Clackamas ($51,724), Multnomah ($57,173), and Washington ($68,168) exceeded Oregon’s 2017 average pay. The annual pay gap for two-thirds of Oregon’s counties exceeded $10,000 in 2017.

Morrow County’s private industry payroll fell by $5.9 million in 2017 to total $246.4 million, a loss of 2.3 percent. Just two Oregon counties – Morrow and Sherman – lost private industry payroll in 2017, while Oregon’s private payrolls rose by 6 percent. Morrow County private industry employment grew slightly in 2017, rising by 25 jobs or 0.5 percent to total 4,806, following a loss of 33 jobs or 0.7 percent in 2016.

Professional and business services led Morrow County in 2017 with a payroll gain of $7.1 million or 74.8 percent. Professional and business services paid an average $87,689 in 2017, nearly 75 percent higher than Morrow County’s all industries average pay. Professional and business services rose by 46 jobs in 2017, an increase of 31.9 percent, to average 190.

Manufacturing boasted Morrow County’s largest payroll, at $79.4 million in 2017. However, manufacturing cut its payroll by $4 million in 2017, a loss of 4.7 percent. Manufacturing lost 104 jobs (-5.9%) in 2017 to average 1,660 while representing just over one-third of Morrow County’s private industry jobs. Manufacturing pay averaged $47,846 in 2017, about 5 percent or $2,500 below the county’s all industries average.

Natural resources and mining performed well in 2017, with a payroll gain of 5.8 percent or $2.9 million bringing the industry total to $52.3 million. Employment rose by 7.4 percent or 87 jobs in 2017 to average 1,259. Natural resources and mining paid an average $41,536 in 2017, about $8,800 or 17.5 percent below Morrow County’s all industries average.

Transportation, warehousing, and utilities produced a payroll gain of $1.6 million or 6.4 percent to total $26.9 million in 2017. Transportation, warehousing, and utilities cut jobs in 2017, falling by 15 or 4.9 percent to average 290. Annual pay averaged $92,786 in 2017, around 84 percent higher than Morrow County’s all industries average.

Retail trade impressed, producing a payroll gain of $0.9 million or 15.7 percent, pushing its 2017 total to $6.4 million. Employment in retail trade rose by 45 jobs in 2017 to average 298, an increase of 17.8 percent. Retail trade paid an average $21,558 in 2017, about 57 percent below Morrow County’s all industries average.

Wholesale trade also performed quite well, with a payroll gain of $0.8 million or 13.8 percent bringing the total to $6.3 million. Employment rose to 108, an increase of six jobs or 5.9 percent. Average pay rose by more than $4,100 or 7.5 percent to $58,781, nearly 18 percent above Morrow County’s all industries average.

Government payrolls rose by $3.7 million or 9 percent in 2017 to total $41.8 million. Government employment also rose, climbing by 44 jobs or 4.7 percent to average 945 jobs in 2017.

Federal government held steady in 2017 with 60 jobs, while its payroll rose by 10.4 percent to total $3.3 million. Federal government pay averaged $55,684 in 2017, more than 10 percent higher than Morrow County’s all industries average.

State government payrolls rose by nearly 8 percent to $4.7 million. State government employment rose by 13 jobs, an increase of 10.7 percent to average 134 jobs. State government pay averaged $35,347 in 2017, lagging Morrow County’s all industries average by about $15,000 or 30 percent.

Local government’s payroll rose by 9 percent in 2017, an increase of $3.1 million to reach $37.4 million. Employment also rose, climbing by 32 in 2017 to average 796 jobs. Wages in local government averaged $47,007 in 2017, lagging Morrow County’s all industries average wage by $3,347 or 6.6 percent.


Our Latest Articles Our Latest Articles

Latest Items