Money for Education if You Are a Child or Spouse of a Veteran

February 22, 2023

Children and spouses of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition, or who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition, may be eligible to receive money for school or job training.

There are two programs offering education assistance to survivors and dependents of veterans:

The Fry Scholarship is available for children and spouses of service members who died in the line of duty on or after September 11, 2001. For more information, go to
The Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) program offers up to 36 months of education benefits for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeships, and on-the-job training. For more information, visit

In addition, spouses of currently deployed or recently returned veterans can receive job search assistance from WorkSource Oregon staff with additional assistance from Local Veteran Employment Representatives and Disabled Veteran Outreach specialists. Get started by visiting and clicking on “Veterans.”

Source: United States Department of Veteran’s Affairs and WorkSource Oregon Employment Department.


Latest Items

Subscription Service

You can sign up to receive email notifications when publications have been updated or new articles are added for any geographic area you are interested in. You can receive new articles on a daily, weekly, or monthly schedule – whichever is most convenient for you.

Visit the subscription order form to sign up. It allows you to choose your preferences, and you can change those preferences – or unsubscribe – at any time.